The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

• Thank you received: 186

wakeywhite replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

josh8 wrote:

RMc wrote:

josh8 wrote: number 13: Seamus joins the elite....

On a cold January day in 1983 I witnessed something at Burnden Park I'd never seen before or since....Jim (Seamus) McDonagh our legendary goal keeper not only score a goal from a goal kick in a 3-0 drubbing of our six fingered friends Burnley ...but also hit the post in the first half with a similar effort.... A day and match I'll never forget... :)

92. Another McDonagh memory.

Ten years before scoring that goal McDonagh was at Burnden Park - playing for the opposition.

In goal for Rotherham United, and with the match petering out to a 1-1 draw, he placed the ball for a goal kick and retreated backward toward the fencing, wasting as much time as possible.

Except the referee hadn't given a goal kick. The ball was still in play.

Garry Jones (him again) realised this and sprinted from about 40 yards out, tapping the ball into the unguarded net for one of the strangest goals seen at the old ground. The Whites won the game 2-1.

I remember that...and also remember being really dissapointed when we bought him not long after.... just shows how wrong you can be about goalkeepers...he was definitely one of the best keepers I've ever seen.... :silly:

you'd have been even more gutted after his debut. Starter for ten ... remember who it was against and the score? (clue ... they were a right set of dirty bstards in them days)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 186

wakeywhite replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

josh8 wrote: number 13: Seamus joins the elite....

On a cold January day in 1983 I witnessed something at Burnden Park I'd never seen before or since....Jim (Seamus) McDonagh our legendary goal keeper not only score a goal from a goal kick in a 3-0 drubbing of our six fingered friends Burnley ...but also hit the post in the first half with a similar effort.... A day and match I'll never forget... :)

All three goals were amazing. One was an unbelievable Barcelona-esque team goal and the other was a forty yarder (presumably a wayward cross) from the late Ray Deakin if memory serves.

Top thread Coffey :)

• Thank you received: 389

Mangler replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

No.16.

29/5/95. Bolton v Reading Play-Off Final.

Trailing 2-0 after only 12 minutes, Bolton hearts sank in the 34th minute, when a frustrated Jason McAteer slid in and brought down one of Reading's players as he burst into the box. A penalty given and the Reading fans are celebrating - they can almost smell the Promised Land.

Up steps Stuart Lovell for the chance to send them up and to extinguish Bolton hopes. Keith Branagan though has other ideas, and diving sharply to his right the great stopper palms away Lovell's spot kick. A few seconds of scramble and the ball is scuffed out of play for the safety of a goal-kick. Bolton fans are jubilant, the relief pumping through the crowd. More importantly, so are the players on the pitch - they can smell blood...

It took us another 90 minutes of football to get the job done, but that penalty save was the turning point. That set us on our way.

• coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

85. Losing County. 25/04/88 Division 4

When I was a lad the teams used to run out seperately. The Supers used to come on to an Argentina 78 style ticket-tape welcome (that really needs to come back) and then a minute or so later the oppostion would take to the pitch to a chorus of boos, jeers and chants of 'Who the effing hell are you?'

A nice bit of prematch intimidation of the away side that also needs to come back. All this shaking hands before a game needs to stop.

Except one game though. Newport County had hit rock bottom. The club was going bust, the stadium was crumbling and their team was made up of 16 and 17 year old YTS players.

For some reason Burnden Park felt sorry for them and their team recieved a warm reception on to the pitch. Not normally renowned for its compassion the Burnden Terrace saluted these young lads and even as the goals started flying in (6 in total) the home support got behind the away side and urged them forward.

They didn't do this very often and even Trevor Morgan scored against them but again at full time they received a rousing ovation for their sheer effort.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

79. Time for a quick one?

22/02/86 Newport County (h)

England's Stuart Ripley, there's a name to conjure with eh? Never quite fulfilled his ptential but when Phil Neal brought him on lona from Middlesborough we all thought we'd found the new Pele.

He wasn't but he did score a goal after 14 seconds.

'Sign him up!' we all shouted.

Thank Christ we couldn't afford him.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

91. Halifax Brown. FACR1 15/11/1986 Halifax. (A),(H) and (A).

It shouldn't really stick in the memory so much but George Oghani's last gasp equalier at Halifax in 1986 will probably still be in my mind when I can't recognise my own children or remember my own name.

We were the Division 3 'big boys' and a large contingent had made the short journey to Halifax's Rat Hole Stadium. They weren't happy as it looked like the Wanderers were looking down the barrel of a 1-0 first round exit yet again until Oghani jinked his way through the penalty area and sunk one into the bottom corner of Paddy Roache's (yes) right hand post.

The celebrations are on Youtube under 'Bolton Hooligans' but it was far from hooliganism. A pitch invasion of pure joy, relief and an urge to get some blood flowing through frozen limbs.

They nearly beat us in the replay with Phil Brown scoring and then hitting the cross bar straight from the restart with a thunderous shot but eventually in the replay of the replay (ahh those were the days) we finally crushed 'em 3-1. A real footballing lesson that.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

60. A New Low. 1986/87

It all started so brightly with the first game of the season being swathed in glorious sun light but apart from that 86/87 was a real catastrophe.

Famous teams such as Mansfield Town, Doncaster Rovers and Bournemouth put the Wanderers into a tail spin that they just couldn't pull out of. Old pros like Asa Hartford and David Cross came and still we struggled.

Eventually we found ourselves in the play-offs to avoid relegation to Division 4. I met my old headmaster on the Manny Road that night. 'I've come to see the end Coffey' he said. Trailing 1-0 from the first leg and with David Felgate hopping around on one leg Bolton blew it and a final score of 2-2 saw the team demoted to the bottom tier of English football for the first time ever.

When asked about his decision not to substitute Felgate Phil Neal said 'I thought we could do enough to protect him.'

He was wrong and sadly Mr Greenhalgh was right.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

84. Hello? Hello?

Who was that bloke who went to use the Burnden Bogs (how desperate must he have been) and fell asleep? Waking up he found the ground deserted and locked up for the night. How he didn't freeze to death I'll never know.

If only he'd have gone up to the Embankment End he could have crawled under the gates. How do I know this? We used to do it on the way home for a night on the town.

This guy stayed there all night.

• Thank you received: 58

johnh52 replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Coffey wrote:
When asked about his decision not to substitute Felgate Phil Neal said 'I thought we could do enough to protect him.'

I remember being there that night and seeing Felgate hopping around. The dark ages lasted only a season and play off misery against Trashmere @ Wembley!

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

josh8 wrote:

Mangler wrote: Can this thread be pinned at the top? Got a feeling this will run and run :)

...(we miss those fanzines Coffey...have you ever thought of reviving some of the regular features... ? )

I have recently. I think there's still a place for perhaps a quarterly fanzine that deals with some of the issues and gossip with a few cartoons chucked in.

Obviously it'd be chronically out of date, but even when we did it every four weeks it had that problem.

I know it's all about the ipads and the pods and the wifis but I reckon people would still like something tangible they could browse at half time, on the bus or on the bog.

I still say the best ever feeling I had was when I used to overhear two people talking about NN in glowing terms.

And the smell. I used to love the house being full of the smell of ink.

I miss that.

• Thank you received: 219

josh8 replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

coffey wrote: I have recently. I think there's still a place for perhaps a quarterly fanzine that deals with some of the issues and gossip with a few cartoons chucked in.

Obviously it'd be chronically out of date, but even when we did it every four weeks it had that problem.

I know it's all about the ipads and the pods and the wifis but I reckon people would still like something tangible they could browse at half time, on the bus or on the bog.

I still say the best ever feeling I had was when I used to overhear two people talking about NN in glowing terms.

And the smell. I used to love the house being full of the smell of ink.

I miss that.

Pervert...

@b4josh8

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

12 - Anything Jim can do John can do better.

Bolton 2-1 Reading. 29/10/96

Having already added to a Scott Sellars goal after latching on to a back pass John McGinlay found himself donning the 'keepers jersey after Keith Branagan was sent off for hand ball.

For me that night Gerry Taggart and Chris Fairclough were magnificent keeping the swarming Reading attack at bay but on the one occasion they did breach the defence who was there to stop them?

McGinlay, swamped by Branners's top leaped like a salmon to flick a goal bound effort over the bar to keep the svore at 2-1.

It was a vital win that put the Wanderers 4 pounts clear at the top of Division One and epitomised the character of the team and the character of McGinlay.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

78 - 29/08/1987 Scarbor-NO!

Bolton fans didn't do themselves any favours on this away day. Fighting all over town, in the ground before and after it was as if they were trying to 'out do' the similar exploitss of Wolves and Burnley fans whose teams made up an opening to Football League life that must have made Scarborough fans wonder why they'd bothered.

I'll tell you why they bothered.

Scarborough 4-0 Bolton Wanderers.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

77 The Life of Pie.

For me there's nothing more beautiful than seeing floodlights on a clear winters night. There's something romantic about seeing them cutting through the crisp still air.

Occasionally watching a bog roll arc majestically through the sky, leaving a long trail of triple ply behind it like a comet racing through space. Perfection.

When David Lee came to take a corner at the Lever End he may have expected to be roundly abused by the home fans. Playing for a Bury team that used to delight in destroying their bigger more illustrious neighbours he was a constant thorn in our side which is why I suppose we signed him.

Splat! From over our heads soared a luke warm meat and potato which caught the balding Lee right on the back of his balding napper.

Whoever threw it should have been in the Olympic athletics team, or at least on Bullseye because the distance it flew before hitting its target must have been about 80feet.

Now, children you must NEVER throw things at people because you could seriously hurt them.

But this was very funny.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

76 - Up ours!

Whoever gave Travor Morgan the nickname 'Tricky' was having a laugh. The lumbering centreforward was the very epitome of the word 'stump'. Slow, cumbersome, and basically rubbish he became the focus of the fans' ire with boos ringing down from the terraces whenever he sliced the ball.

And then he snapped. After yet another wayward pass he rounded on the Burnden Paddock and made the 'Up Yours' gesture to the home support.

A sharp intake of breath, a massive laugh and from then on he couldn't do anything wrong.

Sumo! Sumo! Sumo!

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

There's a book, or at least a Fanzine in this isn't there?

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

76 - Blam the Stan.

I don't know what Stan Collymore said to Andy Todd but I'm sure he regretted it.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

64. What's Bulgarian for 'You! Outside!

No doubt there will be more European memories further up the chart (I'm trying to fill from the bottom up) but the build up to Dioufy's first goal against Lokomotiv Plovdiv in September 2005 was a cracker.

Scoring against the run of play Plovdiv turned to PlovDIVE. Rolling around the floor at every opportunity and basically trying to strangle the life out of the game.

After one innocuous challenge left one of their players sprawled on the grass Ricardo Gardner was prevented from putting the ball out of play by an exasperated Kevin Nolan. The Wanderers captain grabbed the Jamaican and practically flung him off the pitch and, ignoring the decaying corpse at his feet sprayed a beautiful pass out to Nicky Hunt who hit a first time ball into the box for a full length Diouf to power home.

The game even featured a Jared Borgetti goal for the winner but the highlight was Nolan's pass followed by a mimed conversation where the Scouser used the international system of sign language to mime 'You and me mate, down the tunnel at full time.'

I'm sure he got the drift.

I remember that one now... it's bloody ace when a player recognises they're abusing the privilege and plays on regardless. Especially when there's a goal at the end of it! :)

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

80 - Multisensory Experience.

Memories aren't just about the things you see and hear, how many of you have thoughts rekindled by the smells of your youth? The local bakers or brewery, perhaps the smell of your library or an old girlfriend's perfume perhaps?

More so at Burnden rather than the clean efficient Reebok walking down the Manny Road was an olfactorial treat. From the smell of the programme ink in the papershop on the corner of Croft Lane, the Manchester Road stands with it's pipe and cigar smoke, the Burnden Paddock with the smell of cigarettes and err... other substances wafting through the air, underneath the stands with a 100 years of soaked in piss and grime. The pies, the Bovril, the wet coats of 5,000 people huddled together against the elements.

If I experience any of these smells today I am instantly transported back to the days of Caldwell, Chandler and Oghani.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

82 - Roll Up Yer Bens.

At the time I didn't understand this. Was he the actual Town Cryer? Did Bolton actually still have one? Was he just a local 'character' with a red coat and a hat? What the hell was the significance of rolling up a copy of the Bolton Evening News and waving it?

Answers on a postcard please.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

81. Parking for Blue Badge Holders Only.

Pros. Turn up late. Leave early. Pitch side view.
Cons. Pitch side view. Danger of ball putting windows through.

Wonder who he was?

Y'know the worst thing about these things? Not the colour, not the aerodynamics and not I imagine that they looked like they'd be freezing to sit in. No, they were called the 'Invacar'. Talk about rubbing it in.

coffey wrote: 81. Parking for Blue Badge Holders Only.

Pros. Turn up late. Leave early. Pitch side view.
Cons. Pitch side view. Danger of ball putting windows through.

Wonder who he was?

Y'know the worst thing about these things? Not the colour, not the aerodynamics and not I imagine that they looked like they'd be freezing to sit in. No, they were called the 'Invacar'. Talk about rubbing it in.

I used to love these cars as a kid...universally known at my school as the 'Spakmobile' not very pc in todays world...but I always fancied having one... :woohoo:

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

@b4josh8

No 63 :

Burnden Chippy

Queuing up in the Chinese Chippy opposite Burnden Park before the game and the young Chinese girl asking "T'aw reet cock...Fish, chips and peas twice ? " in the thickest Bolton accent you've ever heard... absolute gold... :)

@b4josh8

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

josh8 wrote: No 63 :

Burnden Chippy

Queuing up in the Chinese Chippy opposite Burnden Park before the game and the young Chinese girl asking "T'aw reet cock...Fish, chips and peas twice ? " in the thickest Bolton accent you've ever heard... absolute gold... :)

80. Quick guy gets the stink pie.

They came from 'the back'. They were served to you by a bloke who looked like he'd failed teh audition to play Albert Steptoe because he was 'too unygenic' but you got three of 'em for a pound and they tasted all right.

Krusty Burger must have got their inspiration for their 'Meat Flavoured Product' from the Burnden Pie Shop.

We're still here aren't we? What are you moaning about?

Sacrilige! The Burnden Pie Shop was (and is) bloody marvellous :)

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

73. Magic our Maurice!

Bill Maynard WAS a big TV name. Selwyn Froggitt and The Gaffer were watched by millions, mostly because they had no choice...but still.

I wouldn't have put him down as a friend of Frankie Worthy though. But there he was, prior to home games stood on top of the dug outs waving to fans.

Get us a bag of nuts.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

18. RIP.

For us it was Graham Heyes. If you followed Bolton in the 80's he was the guy who used to jot down caoch number plates and tell stories about bonfire night when he was in a children's home.

He was from Little Hulton and used to catch the 36, getting on the stop after us. He was a simple man with a few eccentricities but he was Bolton Wanderers through and through.

He'd name all the players from the first game he'd seen, tell you the same stories over and over again.

You'll have had your 'Graham' where you lived. A real character from the terraces.

Dave Higson was probably the most famous Bolton fan in the country.

They're all be missed.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

72. Felgate in a Flap.

I'm doing all this from memory. Some memories are clearer than others but I don't use Google or Wiki as I think they're destroying the art of reminscing. When the facts are layed out it blows away all the rose tint and basically makes you look like a liar, delusional or just that little bit further down the road to alzheimers.

I remember this though. FA Cup 5th Round 1992. (Yes the FIFTH round) We drew at home to Southampton 2-2 (Walker and Green). There's a memory of someone getting sent off and Le Tessier scoring a pen for them but we were close.

What do I remember about the replay? I remember The Dell being a dump. You went through the turnstile and, bosh - you were on the terrace. I remember Dave Felgate trying to tackle Alan Shearer and losing (1-0 to them). I remember Andy Walker curling one of the best goals I've seen into the top corner of the net (1-1) and then with the game in its dying embers Julian Darby smashing home from about 8 yards out to send us nuts behind the goal. I went from the back of the terrace to front in about two jumps as a mass of writhing bodies swarmed all over ech other. (1-2)

And then...the next minute is all blurry. A long range hit and hope sails through the air.. Dave Felgate is off his line and....

The ride home from Southampton in the back of a Bedford Rascal wasn't the comfiest I've ever had. It was very quiet too.

I remember that.

• Rodders
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Rodders replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

You should have your own top 100 Coffey! :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds