The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

  • Posts: 5555
  • Karma: 8
  • Thank you received: 219

josh8 replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

coffey wrote: 18. RIP.

For us it was Graham Heyes. If you followed Bolton in the 80's he was the guy who used to jot down caoch number plates and tell stories about bonfire night when he was in a children's home.

He was from Little Hulton and used to catch the 36, getting on the stop after us. He was a simple man with a few eccentricities but he was Bolton Wanderers through and through.

He'd name all the players from the first game he'd seen, tell you the same stories over and over again.

You'll have had your 'Graham' where you lived. A real character from the terraces.

Dave Higson was probably the most famous Bolton fan in the country.

They're all be missed.


I Knew Graham quite well...apart from ending up next to him on the official coaches on numerous occasions.. he used to come to my house when I lived in Farnworth selling the bwfc bingo cards....he lived with his Mother and spoke in a 'Brian clough' mono tone voice...always updating you on his mothers health....he could also be seen on the M61 foot bridge between Farnworth and Little Hulton Coach spotting...which was his other passion... you're right...both he and Dave where a cpl of gems
(I'm sure someone told me he was still around not too long ago...)


@b4josh8
#77196

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 5555
  • Karma: 8
  • Thank you received: 219

josh8 replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

I love this thread.. well done Coffey... brings back alot of memories for all us oldies... :)


@b4josh8
#77197

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

josh8 wrote:

coffey wrote: 18. RIP.

For us it was Graham Heyes. If you followed Bolton in the 80's he was the guy who used to jot down caoch number plates and tell stories about bonfire night when he was in a children's home.

He was from Little Hulton and used to catch the 36, getting on the stop after us. He was a simple man with a few eccentricities but he was Bolton Wanderers through and through.

He'd name all the players from the first game he'd seen, tell you the same stories over and over again.

You'll have had your 'Graham' where you lived. A real character from the terraces.

Dave Higson was probably the most famous Bolton fan in the country.

They're all be missed.


I Knew Graham quite well...apart from ending up next to him on the official coaches on numerous occasions.. he used to come to my house when I lived in Farnworth selling the bwfc bingo cards....he lived with his Mother and spoke in a 'Brian clough' mono tone voice...always updating you on his mothers health....he could also be seen on the M61 foot bridge between Farnworth and Little Hulton Coach spotting...which was his other passion... you're right...both he and Dave where a cpl of gems
(I'm sure someone told me he was still around not too long ago...)


Ooops Apologies if I've buried him too soon. I was just working on the maths and I suppose he'd be about the age of my mum and dad now so he could well still be going. I had heard he'd gone to the great coach park in the sky a while back. That source may not have been as reliable as yours. You know how it is, people move house and before you know it someone says they've croaked.

There you go BWFC fans. You are now all officially coach spotter spotters!

#77198

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

71. Eeeeeeeee! Rat fans!

I've always thought how difficult must be for the French to take a rooster to the rugby. I have enough trouble fitting my scarf, my season ticket, my shades, my ipod and all the other crap you have to carry about as a modern man these days without trying to cram a live chicken into my Tesco carrier bag.

I was stood on the Manny Road one game, can't remember which now, Division two or three? Perhaps it was Charlie Wright or John McGovern - anyway someone threw a rat at a player.

Yes, a rat. It landed near Peter Valentine and it just lay there - well it would, it was dead. No one cleared it from the pitch and it stayed there for the rest of the game.

'Right love, I'm off to the match.'
'Have you got your dead rat dear?'
'Oh, lucky you said that! Nearly forgot.'

#77200

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

70 - Savage by Name. Wanker by Nature.

I cannot express the anger and hatred I feel when I see Robbie Ssavage on the telly or hear his braying mindless laugh on the radio. If he stepped out in front of my car I don't think I'd even touch the brakes or look in my review mirror. Just the 'badum-adump' sound as the front wheels and then the back rolled over him would be enough for me.

I hated him before his diving antics resulted in Deano and Paul Warhurst both seeing red but his weasel like applause to the Leicester City fans as he was subbed for his own safety just put the cherry on the cake.

The Reebok can be quiet at times but I thought the roof was going to come off the place when Michael Rickets crashed home a last gasp equaliser. Every man woman and child screaming at the top of their voices in a triumph of good over pure evil. I've always thought that sometimes a last minute draw is better than a last minute win, well to be more precise more demoralising to the side that's just lost two points rather than one.

Put Bolton v Leicester into youtube and watch it now.

On a coincidental note a good friend of mine was playing rugby for his team in Leicester. After the game they went out on the town. Waiting to get served at a bar who should try and push in but Mr Savage and his gobshite friend Dennis Wise. 'There's a queue here mate.' My friend said without looking around to see who was being so rude.

Ignoring the formality of social etiquette and basic politeness these two upstarts continued to push in through the queue.

I am delighted to report that my mate chinned Savage while his friend put Wise on his backside.

Manners 2 - 0 Animals.

#77203

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

68 - Chester Gritty. 17/10/1992

I used to love Chester away. Short journey, good pubs, nice town and the sun always seemed to shine. However the fact that we were playing Chester City on a regular basis told you how far Bolton Wanderers had fallen. Not everyone was happy though. We had a new Scottish manager who was struggling to put a side together. Phil Neal's old guard still lingered around the club and players were coming to the end of their sell by date. Ring any bells? The snipers were loading their guns for Bruce Rioch and when Chester went 2-0 up the boos from the away end echoed around the Deva Stadium.

In the end a David Reeves goal and one by John McGinlay earned the Trotters a 2-2 draw to keep the angry mob quiet. On the face of it it was a hardfought away point but in hindsight it was a pivitol moment in Bruce Rioch's reign.

Would he have been sacked if we lost that? Was this his equivalent of Alex Ferguson's famous Notts Forest FA Cup tie?

I can only say looking back that draw gave the team a belief that ran through the entire course of the Rioch era.

That's the day it started.

#77581

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 200
  • Karma: -1
  • Thank you received: 0

White Lion replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

#67- Referee Roger Kirkpatrick

A ref who could run backwards faster than he could go forwards. He often reffed a whole 90 minutes from the centre circle. The players used to call him Mr Pickwick due to his portly appearance , balding head and very large sideburns. He was a ref when refs were allowed to have a personality. He connected with the players, and the crowd.

I'm sure he reffed his last ever match at Burnden Park against Spurs 8th May 1979. The opponents and the date are a bit of a blur , and I may be wrong. However, I will never forget the reception Mr Kirkpatrick received as he appeared from the tunnel. Every single person in the ground got up and applauded , including all the players. It was one of those moments when all the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

Sadly Mr Kirkpatrick passed away last year aged 81.

#77669

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

I've been busy, busy, busy for the last couple of weeks but I think next week will be quieter. Stand by for more magic memories!

#78132

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

66. Someone scored a goal John Thomas!

Quite a lot of these memories involve last minute winners or 'big names' from the history of Bolton but this one, containing neither is one of my all time favourite BWFC moments.

Wrexham v Bolton 5th of December 1987. FA Cup Round 2.

Hardly the most awe inspiring fixture from that day's ties but around 3,000 Bolton fans made the short trip down to North Wales more in hope than in expectation. i certainly don't think I'd seen us progress past round 2 but y'know it was a nice day so why not?

Back then it seemed like everyone who went to the home games went to the away games too and Wrexham was already swarming with Bolton fans and the ground was filling fast.

I think we scored first, John Thomas (who else) and they equalised and we all thought 'Here we go Again' until the ball came bouncing into the home side penalty area right infront of us. JT shilded it from one guy, let it bounce over another, dummied one more and then dinked it over former Wanderer's flapper Mike Salmon to actually send the Wanderers into the hat for the third round!

That's how bad times were then.

The draw wasn't kind to the Supers. The cup run ended in the next round with a 3-1 defeat away to Barnsley in a game more legend for off the field 'antics' than on it. But Ian Stevens did score a cracking volley that for about 30 seconds gave Wanderers fans hope.

For you younger ones John Thomas (who the hell calls their kid that?) is up there with any Wanderers legend, if it wasn't for him and his goals we'd almost certainly never made it out of Division 4 and we certainly wouldn't have beat Wrexham that day.

#78133

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1097
  • Karma: 4
  • Thank you received: 182

RMc replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

7.The Best Away Day in Years

Bolton had enjoyed mixed fortunes at Birmingham City. In 2005 Sam Allardyce's team ended a win-less run of ten games there with a virtuoso performance from El Hadji-Diouf.

“It makes you feel good all over, doesn't it?” said Nat Lofthouse who was stood next to me in the Chetham Arms at Chapeltown, as the news came through

The season after it was dire. A 1-0 defeat and a rotten performance. Worse was to come in Sammy Lee's brief time in charge.

“You don't know what you're doing,” chanted the visiting fans.

In the time of Gary Megson, Lee Chung-yong scored his first goal for the Whites at St Andrews. The South Korean was to be the hero again on 12th March 2011 in an FA Cup quarter final.

Into the dying seconds of the game, the score was 2-2, Bolton having been pegged back twice. Nerves were frazzled and the idea of settling for a draw seemed fine. We'd surely do the business back at the Reebok.

Then Paul Robinson played a long cross field ball into the penalty area, Kevin Davies headed across goal and Lee dinked the ball beyond the goalkeeper. Five thousand Wanderers fans (including this one) went beserk. In the year of Nat's death we were going back to Wembley.



There's quite a bit of footage on Youtube, including some from the Beeb. But I like this one, taken from the Birmingham end, the best. The winning goal is at the five minute mark and the crowd scenes are fantastic. That's what football is about.

#78137

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

No 7? Seven? Better than Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Man United, Everton, Villa?

Ok then, if yo say so! In it goes!

#78138

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1097
  • Karma: 4
  • Thank you received: 182

RMc replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

coffey wrote: No 7? Seven? Better than Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Man United, Everton, Villa?

Ok then, if yo say so! In it goes!

Not too fussed on the number, although I think it should be highly placed.

Perhaps we can have a recalibration once there are a hundred moments, or perhaps a poll on the blog for the top five or ten.

#78139

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Yeah, it's all a mish mash anyway.

I would just like to thank bwfcstats.com/index.html without whom this thread would be nothing!

Nothing I tells ya.

#78140

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

65. Youtube paints a thousand words.

#78585

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

14. Bolton are back! Bolton are Back! Ello, Ello!
17/05/88

OK, time for one of the 'big ones'. Bolton Wanderers one season in Division 4 hadn't been easy. There had been some dreadful moments (Halifax away see further up) but come the final day of the season The Whites were one of three teams in with a chance of automatic promotion to the promised land of Division 3.

Now, you've known Bolton Wanderers long enough and you know that if defeat can be snatched from the jaws of victory then it's Bolton Wanderers that will do it.

Bolton were away at Wrexham. Scunthorpe were away at Torquay. A win for Torquay would see them promoted but if they lost and Bolton won then we'd have the prospect of tantalising fixtures like Mansfield, Crewe and Walsall.

Rumours flew around the packed away end that Torquay were winning when they weren't and losing when they weren't too. Bolton held their nerve. As in the FA Cup earlier that year the away end was packed with the gates closed to away fans a good hour before kick off.

I think the goal came from a corner, or it might have just been a cross but when it fell onto the chest of fans favourite Robbie 'Show us yer arse' Savage we all held our breath. Robbie wasn't the best player, he was what they used to call 'whole hearted' so the ball could have gone anywhere.

It nearly burst the back of the net right infront of the Bolton fans.

When bedlam was restored news broke that Scunthorpe were winning! Bolton were going to do it. They were actually going to do it!

The injured Dave Sutton joined the fans on the terraces to our left and danced like a nut his long blonde hair wafting in the late spring sun.

Oh it was a magic day. Phil Neal had masterminded the greatest smash and grab ever.

#78593

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 2432
  • Karma: 3
  • Thank you received: 210

Denn replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

White Lion wrote: #67- Referee Roger Kirkpatrick

A ref who could run backwards faster than he could go forwards. He often reffed a whole 90 minutes from the centre circle. The players used to call him Mr Pickwick due to his portly appearance , balding head and very large sideburns. He was a ref when refs were allowed to have a personality. He connected with the players, and the crowd.

I'm sure he reffed his last ever match at Burnden Park against Spurs 8th May 1979. The opponents and the date are a bit of a blur , and I may be wrong. However, I will never forget the reception Mr Kirkpatrick received as he appeared from the tunnel. Every single person in the ground got up and applauded , including all the players. It was one of those moments when all the hairs stand up on the back of your neck.

Sadly Mr Kirkpatrick passed away last year aged 81.


Roger Kirkpatrick what can I say. He was just an absolute larger than life character whom I actually had the pleasure of meeting him.

During a holiday in Hotel Said Cala Millor in Majorca Roger and his family were guests along with Martin Buchan who played for Man U at that time. We had many beers with Roger who told us many tales about happenings during games.

His first game in the North West after that summer was at Old Trafford when Man U played Bristol City after they had dropped a league for the first time in their history. We waited for Roger who sorted us out with tickets.

I also met him again when he refereed a game at Bolton.

Great memories of a brilliant fair referee.


Denn
#78616

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

10. Mixu High and Rising.

Coca Cola Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg. 8th Mar 1995.

Although we took an early lead in the first game with only half an hour of the second leg remaining Wanderers found themselves 3-1 down on aggregate.

As said many times Bruce Rioch's team never knew when it was beat and so when Jason McAteer followed up to tap home Alan Thompson's initial shot we knew what was coming.

Bolton had been pressing from the start but it was McAteer's goal that seemed to release a lot of tension and Swindon didn't really have an answer to what came next.

The winner from McGinlay to make it 3-1 on the night was great but the special memory really has to be Mixu Paatelainen's screamer that drew the sides level.

Despite being fouled Richard Sneeks somehow manged to squirm the ball into Mixu's path and the gigantic Finn raced on and smashed his first shot past Fraser Digby in the Swindon goal.

It was a good job it went in because if he'd have got anything on it he'd be facing a lifetime in a wheelchair being fed through a straw, or possibly worse. I'm only surprised the net managed to hold it and there weren't casualties on the Lever End.

2-1 on the night, the bloke behind me just kept shouting 'Back from the dead! Back from the dead!' over and over again. There was nearly 20,000 in Burnden Park that night and there can't have been many better nights.

Typing about this game has actually given my shivers down my spine.

Bloody hell it was magic.

#78698

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

No 1. How it all started. 1978

When this comes out in a leather bound series of hardbacks with a foreward by Phil Neal and glossy pictures and everything this will be the preface. But seeing as no-one's chipped in with a number one yet I'm going to use this opportunity to tell you how it all started.

I was brought up in Walkden but moved to Little Hulton when I was twelve. At primary school I was the ONLY Bolton fan, in a secondary school of 600 pupils there were five of us. I can name them for you. Me, Craig Laurie, John McGovern, Gareth Wheeler and the headmaster Mr Greenhalgh.

The reason's for there being so few Superwhites a mere ten miles from Burnden Park were many. There was Manchester United of course, most of the M38 area were 'Spillies', an overflow from Salford where most parents would naturally follow the reds blinkeredly and never consider their local club.

Burnden Park wasn't inviting, football wasn't fashionable like it is now, you couldn't buy replica kits, you didn't know every players name in the world, there was hooliganism there were plenty of reasons.

The main one though was Bolton were garbage.

My first game was Bolton v West Ham in Division 2 1980/81. My dad had successfully bid for two tickets to the press lounge at a Sportsman's Dinner and we watched from the press box sat directly behind Stuart Hall. I wonder what happened to him?

I got a signed ball, met a couple of the players and got to go on the pitch. It was a great day and from then on I was a 'proper' Bolton supporter.

It could have been a lot different if it hadn't been for the Nos. 583 and 584 busses.

In those days busses used to go from one place to another. Of course you had the 12 which used to run from Manchester to Bolton and go through Worlsey and the 68 took almost two hours to go from Manchester to Farnworth as it detoured around Eccles but in general there would be a bus that kept to the main road and didn't muck about.

The 583 and 584 went from Swinton straight along Manchester Road, turned up Bolton Road, along Market St in Farnworth and then along Manchester Road into Bolton.

For my mum it was quicker than going into Manchester so when she needed something that Scan in Walkden didn't stock (imagine Scan like a shop in Leningrad during the seige) we went into Bolton.

I remember as if it was yesterday. It was approaching Christmas, it was cold, raining and I was sat next to the window as we made our way home. As the bus approached Burnden I wiped the condensation from the window to see the floodlights lighting the dark winter sky and the few thousand hardy souls scattering back to their homes.

We may have still been in Division one or the slide might have already started but it was just a magical moment and I wanted to be part of THAT.

A couple of years after my first Bolton game a friend of the family took me to watch United. That was against West Ham too. It was just after that TV documentary about the ICF, United won easily, there was probably around 50,000 at Old Trafford, the teams played well, the ground was impressive but it wasn't the same.

How could you prefer that?

Perhaps it's because I'm a misery guts - a lot of Wanderers are, I could romanticise it and say I prefer the underdog but mainly I think that the reason I chose to support BWFC was that the 583 and 584 went past my house.

Now if I catch a bus to Glasgow it takes about an hour as it winds its way through every single housing estate it can find stopping and starting to pick up jakeys, junkies and neds who never have the right fare and never know where they're going.

And they don't pass any football grounds.

#78706

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

62 My first taste of football violence.

My first ever replica kit was Whatmore/Gowling era white Umbro 'classic' with the diamonds down the sleeves. I got that and the red track suit top/blue bottoms for my birthday or Christmas or something and I never took them off.

We still lived in Walkden so I'd have been around eight. I went on to the fields at the bottom of my street and waited to see if anyone else was coming out (no mobiles in those days kiddies, no Instagrams and Facebooks - you just went and waited).

As I waited these 'big boys' came on to the field and started mythering me.

In a strange mix of passive/aggressive bought of cultural knowledge they said 'Oh, you support Bolton? Lowry painted that picture of Bolton didn't he?' I had no idea what they were talking about.

'You know that song 'He painted Matchstalk men and matchstalk cats and dogs?'
'Err, yeah I know that song. I bought it.'
'Well, you know he nicked those boxes from shops don't you?'

I really didn't know what to say. I'm sure I knew I was going to get punched either way by now but the strangeness of the situation and the odd line of questioning left me stammering.

Before I could postulate on the criminal mind behind LS Lowry and his art I got a punch in the face.

And then the boys just walked off.

I've never told anyone about this. Not even my mum. You're the first.

#78707

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Rodders
  • Rodders's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Rodders replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

No. 1 in your book Coffey should either be blank, or say tbc.

That'd give the world a bit of optimism :)

#78712

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Rodders wrote: No. 1 in your book Coffey should either be blank, or say tbc.

That'd give the world a bit of optimism :)


*rolls eyes*
*tuts*

What a cliche!

It's called 100 Great Memories (or summat) not flamin' Twilight the Wolfening.

I'll consider it.

#78713

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Rodders
  • Rodders's Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Rodders replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Need a cliché these days.

Maybe put something in about a young wizard, and some S&M.

#78714

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 5555
  • Karma: 8
  • Thank you received: 219

josh8 replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

coffey wrote: No 1. How it all started. 1978

When this comes out in a leather bound series of hardbacks with a foreward by Phil Neal and glossy pictures and everything this will be the preface. But seeing as no-one's chipped in with a number one yet I'm going to use this opportunity to tell you how it all started.

I was brought up in Walkden but moved to Little Hulton when I was twelve. At primary school I was the ONLY Bolton fan, in a secondary school of 600 pupils there were five of us. I can name them for you. Me, Craig Laurie, John McGovern, Gareth Wheeler and the headmaster Mr Greenhalgh.

The reason's for there being so few Superwhites a mere ten miles from Burnden Park were many. There was Manchester United of course, most of the M38 area were 'Spillies', an overflow from Salford where most parents would naturally follow the reds blinkeredly and never consider their local club.

Burnden Park wasn't inviting, football wasn't fashionable like it is now, you couldn't buy replica kits, you didn't know every players name in the world, there was hooliganism there were plenty of reasons.

The main one though was Bolton were garbage.

My first game was Bolton v West Ham in Division 2 1980/81. My dad had successfully bid for two tickets to the press lounge at a Sportsman's Dinner and we watched from the press box sat directly behind Stuart Hall. I wonder what happened to him?

I got a signed ball, met a couple of the players and got to go on the pitch. It was a great day and from then on I was a 'proper' Bolton supporter.

It could have been a lot different if it hadn't been for the Nos. 583 and 584 busses.

In those days busses used to go from one place to another. Of course you had the 12 which used to run from Manchester to Bolton and go through Worlsey and the 68 took almost two hours to go from Manchester to Farnworth as it detoured around Eccles but in general there would be a bus that kept to the main road and didn't muck about.

The 583 and 584 went from Swinton straight along Manchester Road, turned up Bolton Road, along Market St in Farnworth and then along Manchester Road into Bolton.

For my mum it was quicker than going into Manchester so when she needed something that Scan in Walkden didn't stock (imagine Scan like a shop in Leningrad during the seige) we went into Bolton.

I remember as if it was yesterday. It was approaching Christmas, it was cold, raining and I was sat next to the window as we made our way home. As the bus approached Burnden I wiped the condensation from the window to see the floodlights lighting the dark winter sky and the few thousand hardy souls scattering back to their homes.

We may have still been in Division one or the slide might have already started but it was just a magical moment and I wanted to be part of THAT.

A couple of years after my first Bolton game a friend of the family took me to watch United. That was against West Ham too. It was just after that TV documentary about the ICF, United won easily, there was probably around 50,000 at Old Trafford, the teams played well, the ground was impressive but it wasn't the same.

How could you prefer that?

Perhaps it's because I'm a misery guts - a lot of Wanderers are, I could romanticise it and say I prefer the underdog but mainly I think that the reason I chose to support BWFC was that the 583 and 584 went past my house.

Now if I catch a bus to Glasgow it takes about an hour as it winds its way through every single housing estate it can find stopping and starting to pick up jakeys, junkies and neds who never have the right fare and never know where they're going.

And they don't pass any football grounds.


I remember that game... It pissed down and I sat on the concrete concourse (no seats then) between lever end and burnden terrace... the game featured on Match of the day and there I was...like a tit...sat on the floor the the pissing rain...haha... sure we won 2-1 ...


@b4josh8
#78715

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 156
  • Thank you received: 19

Marco1983 replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

coffey wrote: 70 - Savage by Name. Wanker by Nature.

I cannot express the anger and hatred I feel when I see Robbie Ssavage on the telly or hear his braying mindless laugh on the radio. If he stepped out in front of my car I don't think I'd even touch the brakes or look in my review mirror. Just the 'badum-adump' sound as the front wheels and then the back rolled over him would be enough for me.

I hated him before his diving antics resulted in Deano and Paul Warhurst both seeing red but his weasel like applause to the Leicester City fans as he was subbed for his own safety just put the cherry on the cake.

The Reebok can be quiet at times but I thought the roof was going to come off the place when Michael Rickets crashed home a last gasp equaliser. Every man woman and child screaming at the top of their voices in a triumph of good over pure evil. I've always thought that sometimes a last minute draw is better than a last minute win, well to be more precise more demoralising to the side that's just lost two points rather than one.

Put Bolton v Leicester into youtube and watch it now.

On a coincidental note a good friend of mine was playing rugby for his team in Leicester. After the game they went out on the town. Waiting to get served at a bar who should try and push in but Mr Savage and his gobshite friend Dennis Wise. 'There's a queue here mate.' My friend said without looking around to see who was being so rude.

Ignoring the formality of social etiquette and basic politeness these two upstarts continued to push in through the queue.

I am delighted to report that my mate chinned Savage while his friend put Wise on his backside.

Manners 2 - 0 Animals.


I was at that match. The roof came off. The only sad bit is that Wanker Savage wasn't on the pitch to witness it.


Ska Is Not Dead.
#78716

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 1
  • Thank you received: 0

Mounts Kipper replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Great memories Mr Coffey as a fellow Mountskipper per know all the characters mentioned and all the great memories keep up the good work.

#78717

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

24. It's the most wonderful time of the year.

Mass hysteria and mob mentality are well documented occurances. Cult members, packs of wolves, the audience of Loose Women all need little provocation to behave like lunatics, lose their individuality and become a single entity moving and thinking in unison as a subconcious wave sweeps across them.

Whether that's caused by the iminent arrival of a space ship to take them all to the sun, the urge to hunt for food or because that daft cow off that cruise programme has made another lewd comment about the number of men she's slept with doesn't matter. Once that trigger is pulled there's no going back until whatever is seen as the groups final goal is acheived.

I think the first time I experienced this phenomenon was when as a young lad we went to Butlins on holiday. The camp cinema showed The Pink Panther Strikes Again (double bill with the original Gone in Sixty Seconds). Packed to the rafters, scorching hot and with sweat dripping from the roof the whole place was in uproar at the hilarious Peter Sellars movie.

As Inspector Clouseau ineptly bumbled around Europe falling down stairs and destroying pianos I found myself unable to breathe, not just because the film was funny but because everyone else found it funny too.

It's a great but odd feeling when you don't know why you're laughing but you can't stop.

Why am I going on like this? I don't know, partly because it's quiet at work but mainly it's the only way I can describe how the 'bobbing up and down dance' swept the terraces one Christmas half-time.

I can't even remember which game it was, it might have been Norwich at home but as the DJ spun the Christmas staple Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie one fan, then another and then another started to bend at the knees in time to the oompa-oompa of the brass band.

In about a minute the whole ground was doing it, lauhging and bobbing for absolutely no reason other than the person next to them was doing it.

It wasn't a one off and has become a bit of a tradition now, passed on from generation to generation. Grandparents and grandkids all dancing and having fun for fun's sake alone.

Will the new DJ guy know about it, will he care or will he be blasting out 10,000dB Ibiza dance grooves at 600bpm to motionless blokes in brand new jumpers stinking of Kouros? Who knows?

I'll I know is you can keep your Poznan.

#78779

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

9. Are you still friends with Michael Jackson?

Time for another big one. We all know how it went 2-nil down and being run ragged, McAteer gives away a pen and...the rest is history. Bruce Rioch's crowning moment and one of the all time great comebacks in world football.

From myside it was an extra special day because I got to tell Uri Geller what I thought of him. He must hear it all the time but y'know it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Geller's famous for jumping on band wagons and had aligned himself with Reading FC doing his usual trick of burying crystals and bending spoons in a way that could only mean one thing. A win and promotion to the Premiership for the Royals.

Though work I had wrangled hospitality to an executive box for me and a few friends. Walking through the main entrance we entered the lift and then, as one all noticed who had just got out. None other than yer very own Geller. It must have been some psychic phenomenom because in unison we all shouted 'Geller! You w*****!' as the doors closed.

Now if he actually possessed magic powers he'd have welded the lift doors shut and left us to rot.

But he hasn't so he didn't.

When the penalty was awarded most of my mates chucked it and walked into the back room to start demolishing the bar. 'No' I said confidently 'He'll save this.'

The Reading supporters didn't hang around at the end. They probably shook our hands and left at the final whistle. We were all too busy rolling around the floor to care.

We'd gone down on the 'official train'. The one that's timed to arrive in and depart from Wembley so as to allow absolutely zero drinking time and everyone else on the train back to Trinity St was stone cold sober.

I'm sure they couldn't understand how we were so tanked up.

Maybe it was just the thrill of meeting Uri?

#79254

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

61. Phil neal's 'Come up and see me' offer.

Sometimes I look back at the way we gave Phil Neal stick with nothing but shame. He wasn't the best manager in the world, he wasn't the best player. Tony Caldwell once told me that when he came to Bolton everyone was in awe of this England and Liverpool legend until about ten minutes into training when Mark Gavin started nut-megging him.

What respect they had for him vanished almost immediatley TC said. The stories also ran that after defeat at York, which practically sealed our fate in the Division Three relegation slump Ian Stevens grabbed Neal in the showers, shook him and shouted 'You know NOTHING about football.'

That must have hurt - Ian Stevens lambasting you in the showers of Bootham Crescent. Does it get any worse?

He publically called me a 'hooligan' - which I most certainly wasn't, I was gobby, annoying and would pretty much do anything if someone said it'd be 'funny if...' but 'hooligan'? Perhaps in these days of retrospective justice I should sue...

Anyway,

The pressure on Phil was mounting, Bolton weren't doing as well as anyone expected or hoped in football's basement and the fans let their fury fly on the 12th of Jan 88 during a 0-0 draw with the mighty Halifax Town. 'Phil Neal out!', 'Phil Neal you're a this and that' rang from the shale bank that posed as an away end at The Shay and at full time the all too familiar chorus of boos filled the air as the players left the pitch.

Phil didn't help himself by saying that Halifax were 'tough opposition' and that not many teams 'would get anything from The Shay'. He was totally wrong as the stats showed that EVERY team so far had 'got something' from The Shay and their toughness was confounded by the fact they were second bottom of the league.

The following day my mate raced round to our house with a Daily Star. Phil Neal smiled down on us and challenged any Bolton fans who felt he was doing wrong to 'come up and see him'.

So we did.

It was about One O'clock in the afternoon when we arrived at Burnden (my mate bottled it) but I was the 4th person that day to accept his challenge.

He was ok actually. From what I remember he cut a lonely figure, he said he was doing his best and that he would get it right eventually.

I suppose to some extent he did. He signed Andy Walker if nothing else.

He might not have been a great thinker or talker but he would always see you if you knocked on his door or called him on the phone.

I wonder how many managers would do that these days?

Have you seen that show 'My Name is Earl'? I may owe Phil Neal an apology.

#79255

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Posts: 4346
  • Karma: 15
  • Thank you received: 389

Mangler replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

coffey wrote: 9. Are you still friends with Michael Jackson?

Time for another big one. We all know how it went 2-nil down and being run ragged, McAteer gives away a pen and...the rest is history. Bruce Rioch's crowning moment and one of the all time great comebacks in world football.

From myside it was an extra special day because I got to tell Uri Geller what I thought of him. He must hear it all the time but y'know it was a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Geller's famous for jumping on band wagons and had aligned himself with Reading FC doing his usual trick of burying crystals and bending spoons in a way that could only mean one thing. A win and promotion to the Premiership for the Royals.

Though work I had wrangled hospitality to an executive box for me and a few friends. Walking through the main entrance we entered the lift and then, as one all noticed who had just got out. None other than yer very own Geller. It must have been some psychic phenomenom because in unison we all shouted 'Geller! You w*****!' as the doors closed.

Now if he actually possessed magic powers he'd have welded the lift doors shut and left us to rot.

But he hasn't so he didn't.

When the penalty was awarded most of my mates chucked it and walked into the back room to start demolishing the bar. 'No' I said confidently 'He'll save this.'

The Reading supporters didn't hang around at the end. They probably shook our hands and left at the final whistle. We were all too busy rolling around the floor to care.

We'd gone down on the 'official train'. The one that's timed to arrive in and depart from Wembley so as to allow absolutely zero drinking time and everyone else on the train back to Trinity St was stone cold sober.

I'm sure they couldn't understand how we were so tanked up.

Maybe it was just the thrill of meeting Uri?


Oi, I sneaked this in at no.16 (it's on page 2 of this thread, have a look if you don't believe me...). Although to be fair, your account is better than mine so I'll be happy to withdraw my entry on appeal*... :) Perhaps we could merge the two? Where's Len Goodman when you need an adjudicator...



*no salacious innuendo, please

#79257

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 424
  • Karma: 2
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Sorry Mangler. I think the two can stand on their own merit. Yours is actually about the game mine is about meeting one of the world's all time great charlatans.

#79258

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.394 seconds