The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

• Thank you received: 389

Mangler replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

coffey wrote: ...mine is about meeting one of the world's all time great charlatans.

Hey... I thought you said you were going to leave Phil Neal alone?

Oh hang on, I've got my wires crossed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

tim_rigby replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Go watch the clip in the Zac Clough thread and then in 18 months you can add that to this list, don't say I'm never optimistic ;)

• coffey
  • coffey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 34

coffey replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

15. Chewed up Toffees.
FA Cup R3 (replay) JAN 19TH 1994. Everton 2 3 Bolton Wanderers 3 (aet)

Shall we have another 'big un'? Go on then, let's.

The formula was - draw at home then win away. The formula for the Bolton Evening News was 'White Hot X'. This game ticked all the boxes. The Wanderers were getting in the habit of knocking out the 'big boys' in the Cups and Everton were about to get a taste of what Liverpool had enjoyed the previous year.

21,000 had watched the home tie end 1-1 (Patterson) but even though Everton were a Premier League club they were a shit Premier League side and there was an air of expectation now amongst another massive turn out from the Superwhites who packed in behind the goal in the Park Stand along with a hefty portion of the Main Stand seats but when Everton went two-nil up straight after the restart there must have been a few away fans who thought the chance of another night of cup glory was over.

How many times do I have to tell you? This side never knew when it was beaten. When will you learn?

McGinlay pulled one back then Neville Southall, Gary Ablett and Alan Stubbs went for the same ball, Ablett crashed into the Welsh scruff bag who dropped the ball at the feet of Stubbs who couldn't miss. And didn't.

Two-Two and with the Wanderers on the up there was no way we were going to lose this.

For me this was the night that Owen Coyle secured his 'legend' status. We all used to groan when his name was read out on the team sheet, we'd seen him miss so many easy chances and we were all amazed how he managed to somehow jump lower than he actually was but the goals he did score were important ones. He's scored against Gretna to save our blushes in Round 1, he'd scored in the away R2 fixture at Lincoln and now here he was.

I can't remember how the ball came to him but he turned his defender and raced towards the Gwladys Steet End. As Southall rushed out towards him Coyle bent the ball around his dispairing dive and into the corner of the net with a finesse that Lionel Messi would have been proud of.

One thing that's always stuck in my mind from that night, coming away from this game was the attitude of the Evertonians. While their close neighbours had applauded us from the field the season before Toffees fans weren't so magnanimous in defeat.

'Get bacckkk t'yer s**tty grrround' one shouted at us as we walked back to our car.

Have you seen Goodison Park? What a rat hole. It's amazing how quickly that famous Scouse sense of humour and friendliness disapears when you've shoved it right up them.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

59 - That's where Joss Stone is from!

A while back I read a bizzare story about some nutters who planned to kidnap the singer Joss Stone. It seemed such an odd thing to do but the thing that grabbed my attention was that the kidnapping was to take place not in London or New York or some other major city but the sleepy village of Stone's home town Cullompton.

If you asked Johnny Foreigner to describe to you what 'England' is like then 'Cullompton' would be it. Devonshire tranquility, cricket pitch on the village green, gentile river flowing through it it's the quintessential market town and it's also about 20 minutes from Exeter City's home ground St James Park.

When I was a lad pubs used to have a thing called 'hours'. They couldn't open all day and instead of warming themselves in Weatherspoons from dawn till dusk tramps would have to go to the library and risk learning something.

Now it's all changed of course and you in some big cities you can drink around the clock in a way the French and Italians wouldn't dream of. Just because you 'can' doesn't mean you 'have to'.

Anyway, Division 4. Exeter away and the Walkden Whites left The Stocks Hotel car park in the back of a van courtesy of Moggertours at around 6am to arrive in Exeter for what we used to call 'opening' or 'early doors'. All away trips were timed this way to allow for maximum anaesthesia against the horrors we were about to witness.

The landlord of the Dog and Duck must have been a tad worried when he saw the Salford Van Hire Renault Traffic pull on to his forecourt but quickly opened up when he saw we were true gents and more importantly very thirsty.

Darts, pool (I won a pocket full of money playing both!) Football Focus, Saint and Greavsie - great but sadly it eventually dawned on us that we'd have to leave for the match.

As we filed out some bright spark asked the landlord 'What time do you open?' Yep, pubs used to close for a few hours in the afternoon too - imagine that! Looking at his watch mein host replied 'What time will you be back?'

Sure enough after a 1-1 draw against the mighty Grecians (JT - who else?) we returned to our base camp to be greated with a buffet fit for a king. Well fit for a load of rag arsed Wanderers fans anyway.

Sandwiches, pies, sausage rolls, chips, more sandwiches, yep keep 'em coming kept us in there until chucking out time at about 12pm.

Poor old Don the driver had been on the go all day with only a Lager Shandy to quench his thirst and as we all slept back to Walkden he must have been ruing the day he ever learned to drive.

I've always said the football itself is often peripheral to the day out, especially for away games. It's the laugh and camaraderie that makes these days out so special and THAT'S why Exeter (a) 9th April 1988 is one of my favourite all time away games.

It was also my birthday weekend. Mines the 8th so you know when to send the card.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

This thread isn't dead by the way. I have plenty of memories left and will post as they work their way to the top of my brain but you wouldn't believe how busy I am at work these days.

Work is the only place I'll visit the intornets because that's what I'm being paid for.

Well I'm not but I'll be buggered if I'm going to sit staring at the screen when I get in.

Sometimes though I can't get on here due to my work's firewall considering this website to include 'games'. From what we've seen this season that's a funny definition of the word 'games' isn't it.

Certainly no fun.

Anyway, memories...memories....some coming up!

• Thank you received: 4

BL2 White replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Ha ha....god bless Graham. He was a proper statto....he used to stand on the Mani Rd when I was a kid and I cried laughing at his bonfire stories involving rockets :)

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

41. The Last Ever Game at Plainmoor.

Here's the second of the major confessions.

The last ever game at Burnden was an emotional affair. The goals, the points, the trophy, Gerry Taggart's red boots, Super John's final goal, all captured on TV as all the stars aligned as one.

And I wasn't there.

Instead I was in a bar in Torquay playing pool with my mate. A wigan fan.

Unlike the HUll game you may think there was no excuse for this ou’d be well within your rights to accuse me of treachery and when I tell you I was in the Devonshire town to watch Wigan Athletic win the Division 2 (now League 1) title you’d be justified in calling for the death penalty.

Before you throw the switch though allow me to tell you the tale of how I came to be at Plainmoor and not Burnden on that glorious night.

Those of you that know me know that I’m visually impaired. I’ve always been this way but have been very lucky to have had several groups of friends who have acted like human guide dogs to help me get around. Looking back when I think of the times I’ve knocked people, tables, drinks or worse people’s tables that had drinks on them over I’m genuinely surprised that I didn’t end up nursing a fat lip every time we went out.

I could have helped myself of course. I could have got a white stick, the universal symbol recognised by everyone (apart from Italians oddly) as denoting that the bearer may not be able to see where he’s going and that, seeing as he’s 6ft tall and 14stone that they should perhaps get out of the way. I’ve got one now and I don’t leave the front door without it.

My current friends love it as it acts like a magic wand parting crowds and pushing us to the front of queues but in the old days, the days of pride and bravado I’d rather struggle and squash small children and walk into doors than use one and look daft.

As if in unison with the decline of Burnden Park the last few seasons my eyesight had gradually got worse and worse and as the crowds increased games, especially those that involved leaving the Burnden Terrace in darkness literally filled me with terror.

Like I say I had many good friends and I’m eternally grateful to them for all their help over the years and over the fences, rough ground and away end car parks but the writing was on the wall.

Being bumped from pillar to post, treading on toes, walking into people going the other way started to feel less appealing and when my mate suggested we go to Torquay for his team’s final game I said ‘yes’.

As I stood watching the celebrations, pool cue in one hand, pint of Scrumpy in the other I consoled myself that I’d ‘done my bit’ for Bolton Wanderers. I’d followed them to their deepest depths. I’m not the sort of person who thinks the cosmos owes me rewards and the knowledge that I could actually ‘see’ the game without the awful full-time chicken run was a big relief.

For the record Wigan won the game and their title. They took a few down, had a sing-song, me and my mate chatted up some off duty female coppers, we met Dave Whelen and he never mentioned his broken leg and the sun shone.

It wasn’t the same though.

There ladies and gentlemen is my defence and I ask for these mitigating circumstances to be taken into consideration when you pass sentence.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Archie Sturrock

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

20th Jan 1986. Enty Goes Menty.
Stockport 2-2 Bolton. SVT QF (North)

This game is yet another in the long list of last gaspers. I really should try and stay away from them for a while.

88 minutes of pure Phil Neal era Wanderers had gone and at 2-nil down the boos from the away contingent we rolling down the short terrace onto the Edgely Park pitch.

‘We’ve got the worst team in the land’ the fans sung in unison before naming every player and his position before declaring in turn just to make it clear that there were no execptions.

‘We’ve got David Felgate in our goal – we’ve got the worst team in the land.’ From 1 to 11.

While this was going on Wayne Entwistle, a regular target of the boo-boys earned 50% of his ‘Burden Legend’ status by swinging over a right wing cross which Mark Came nodded in.

Unimpressed by this the fans continued ‘We’ve got Tony Caldwell in attack – we’ve got the worst team in the land.’

Stockport restarted but lost the ball which was played out to Enty who, eager to earn the other 50% did it again. Cross into the box and there was Caldwell this time to make it 2-2

Genuine delight.

Football fans know no shame of course and the song was immediately revised and we started again ‘We’ve got the best team in the land!’

Getting back on to the travel club coach I started a tongue-in-cheek chorus of ‘Wem-ber-lee, Wem-ber-lee, We’re the famous Bolton Wanderers and we’re off to Wem-ber-lee!’

And I was right.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

8 - Anfield Rap.
Liverpool 0 - Bolton 2 FAC3R 13/01/1993

You know this. You know about the undersoil heating, you know about Mark Winstanley's own goal, you know about 'Souey' smashing the tea cups in the away dressing room and you know about David Lee running Premier League legend Mike Marsh ragged, McGinlay and Walker scoring and of course Alan Hansen having to watch it all again on MotD. How did the BEN describe it? Oh aye 'White Hot'

What a night. Once of those cold, breath in the air nights with everyone wrapped up and packed in.

There was a turning point in this game that I think gets overlooked.

At 1-0 Liverpool won a corner. which was crossed in for the normally reliable John Barnes to meet, full on totally unmarked in the six yard box. From my vantage point on the very front row I could see it coming and was already thinking a very rude word when Barnes connected.

The Liverpool fans thought it was in and cheered as the net ruffled.

Barnes had hit the side netting though. It was a dreadful miss. If he'd have scored who knows what would have happened. He was almost within touching distance of us as he walked past head bowed, gloved hand over his mouth.

About two minutes later Andy Walker showed him how to do it properly.

What a night. One word sums it up 'Glory'.

Total dominance from the Wanderers Lee, Walker and McGinlay took the headlines but with Tony Kelly in midfield and Keith Branagan in goal Bolton throughly deserved this win.

And Dave Higson was right the first time. Liverpool were 'spawn gets' to get it back to 2-2 at Burnden.

I don't know if you ever noticed this while watching the VHS. At the end when the players come over to the fans everyone is doing the 'Oo-Ar-Branagan' and there's a young bloke in the crowd with a brown jacket on. He goes 'Oh-ar' stops 'Branagan' stops 'I said Oh-ar Branagan.'

It made me laugh when I saw it. So I started doing it too.

• Archie Sturrock
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Member Of The Super White Army, St Helens RLFC Fan
  • Thank you received: 15

Archie Sturrock replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

coffey wrote: 15. Chewed up Toffees.
FA Cup R3 (replay) JAN 19TH 1994. Everton 2 3 Bolton Wanderers 3 (aet)

Shall we have another 'big un'? Go on then, let's.

The formula was - draw at home then win away. The formula for the Bolton Evening News was 'White Hot X'. This game ticked all the boxes. The Wanderers were getting in the habit of knocking out the 'big boys' in the Cups and Everton were about to get a taste of what Liverpool had enjoyed the previous year.

21,000 had watched the home tie end 1-1 (Patterson) but even though Everton were a Premier League club they were a shit Premier League side and there was an air of expectation now amongst another massive turn out from the Superwhites who packed in behind the goal in the Park Stand along with a hefty portion of the Main Stand seats but when Everton went two-nil up straight after the restart there must have been a few away fans who thought the chance of another night of cup glory was over.

How many times do I have to tell you? This side never knew when it was beaten. When will you learn?

McGinlay pulled one back then Neville Southall, Gary Ablett and Alan Stubbs went for the same ball, Ablett crashed into the Welsh scruff bag who dropped the ball at the feet of Stubbs who couldn't miss. And didn't.

Two-Two and with the Wanderers on the up there was no way we were going to lose this.

For me this was the night that Owen Coyle secured his 'legend' status. We all used to groan when his name was read out on the team sheet, we'd seen him miss so many easy chances and we were all amazed how he managed to somehow jump lower than he actually was but the goals he did score were important ones. He's scored against Gretna to save our blushes in Round 1, he'd scored in the away R2 fixture at Lincoln and now here he was.

I can't remember how the ball came to him but he turned his defender and raced towards the Gwladys Steet End. As Southall rushed out towards him Coyle bent the ball around his dispairing dive and into the corner of the net with a finesse that Lionel Messi would have been proud of.

One thing that's always stuck in my mind from that night, coming away from this game was the attitude of the Evertonians. While their close neighbours had applauded us from the field the season before Toffees fans weren't so magnanimous in defeat.

'Get bacckkk t'yer s**tty grrround' one shouted at us as we walked back to our car.

Have you seen Goodison Park? What a rat hole. It's amazing how quickly that famous Scouse sense of humour and friendliness disapears when you've shoved it right up them.

Remember it well. That Park End stand was one of the shittiest orifices I ever frequented at a football match.
Even Cambridge United's away seats were better that that hovel.

• Archie Sturrock
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Member Of The Super White Army, St Helens RLFC Fan
  • Thank you received: 15

Archie Sturrock replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

And there was that wonderful night at Highbury when we won 4-1. Yes, I know that's not what the papers said, but Zico scored and the ref screwed it up.
I actually felt a bit sorry for Martin Keown afterwards, he was only trying to do his job.
Great days out, with a team that knew how to play proper football. Bruce Rioch's Super White Army!!!
Oh yeah, by the time I got back home to St Helens, it was getting light. Going to work was right out of the question. Fifteen hours sleep wasn't.

• Thank you received: 52

jasonwalker95 replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Was thinking of one today when those bloody drums were bashing out "We will rock you"

Arsenal match. Can't remember when. But we sang "We're the one and only Wanderers" for the ENTIRE second half. I think we ended up losing 3-1 or something but just thinking about the full crowds back then and when you look at the 13,000 we had today.

But that day was very memorable for me.

Once a Wanderer, Always a Wanderer.
Never give up and Never look back!

@jasonwalker95

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

39 Burnden Park After Dark.

I've been on the pitch a few times. After Peter Nicholson's testimonial to get George Best's autograph for my mum's friend (she moaned that I should have 'asked for his shirt'), after beating Preston to get promotion and, for a period almost every Friday night after a night out in Bolton.

I remember there was a lot of 'fun pubs' (has there ever been a pub that's billed itself as a 'Misery Hole'?) and I also remember it as the era when Labatt's ruled the world. Serendipity's, the one around the back of the Pack House that did 'Doubles for £1', the Pack Horse, across the road up to the one on the corner and then back across to Yateses and the one next door*. All the classiest places filled with video walls, people in bright green shirts and one person serving.

What was the name of that club under the Job Centre? Taht's where I met Debbie from Harwood - I MUST have told you about Debbie from Harwood.

She was ace.

Anyway, where was I? Yes - right. After chucking out time instead of queuing we'd start walking homewards hoping to flag down a taxi but more often that not we'd end up walking it all the way back to L/H...

I don't know how we discvered this but the gates at the Embankment End although chained up were never chained up tight enough to stop them opening just enough for four young, slim 18 year old lads to squeeze though and enter the hallowed grounds.

Now, as previously stated It was too dark for me to see but through the blackness I could hear my mates running around the pitch, acting out goals and generally behaving like exhuberent teenages. As the only Wanderers fan I warned them not to make a mess of the pitch. I didn't want an divots making the ball even more uncontrollable for our elite centre-forwards.

I wasn't totally irresponsible.

We did this for a couple of weeks and then one week one of the lads brought a ball and we booted it over the gates on the way IN to Bolton.and that night we had a nocturnal kick about. We did for a couple of weeks until one night we returned to find the ball gone.

It was like something out of a horror film where the last man alive discovers that shile he has been away someone OR SOMETHING has visited his hut.

I'll admit to being a bit scared by the knowledge that somone else had discovered our secret and we never did it again.

These days such actions would see us banned from football for life and flung in to a cell with some of the countries most dangerous criminals but seeing as it was twenty five years ago and Burnden has been razed to the ground several times over I think that the 'statute of limitations' must have past by now.

*If you can fill in any of the pub's anmes that would be good.

coffey wrote: *If you can fill in any of the pub's anmes that would be good.

Guessing games and anagrams too, eh? You should do your own quiz book ;)

• Thank you received: 0

Bolton66 replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

coffey wrote: 39 Burnden Park After Dark.

...the one around the back of the Pack House that did 'Doubles for £1', the Pack Horse, across the road up to the one on the corner and then back across to Yateses and the one next door*.

*If you can fill in any of the pub's anmes that would be good.

Doubles for a quid.
Bergeracs?

Across the road from the Pack Horse.
Corks Wine Bar?

Up to the one on the corner.
Swan?

Next door to Yates's.
It's had so many names... possibly Gaiety or Maxims back then?

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Bergeracs - yes! Maxims -yes! and the Swan - three out of three.

What a crap night out that was.

Every bloody week. You also had Revolution and a few other dumps thrown in for good measure.

I think it was the night of my 19th birthday (pre NEKNOMINATE anyway) I drank a pint of shots in Bergerac's. I was hallucinating by the end of the night. the next morning I got up right as rain and went to the early kick off game against Birmingham then played football in the afternoon.

Drink responsibly kids!

• Thank you received: 211

Denn replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

I have a lot of fond memories whilst watching Bolton, unfortunately none of them are from recent years. In fact I go way back to the 70s standing on the United Road Paddock. That night Frankie Worthington tore Man U apart.

My next has to be one well before that game, a cup visit to Nottingham Forest in the 3rd round of the cup in 1967. I was a youngster but the songs and witty comments on the coach from Atherton took top stage that day. Wanderers lost 4-2 after putting in a tremendous show.

One of my favourite away trips was to Bournmouth on the League liner. This was a train hired to clubs who booked it. Burnley were the first to use this and we were the second. Cannot recall much about it but the bugger was late getting there. MOTD Cameras were there that day to capture our 2-0 defeat.

Strange how my moments are all from the lower leagues? The 3rd division days under Ian Greaves were tremendous.

Denn

• Thank you received: 219

josh8 replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Denn wrote: I have a lot of fond memories whilst watching Bolton, unfortunately none of them are from recent years. In fact I go way back to the 70s standing on the United Road Paddock. That night Frankie Worthington tore Man U apart.

My next has to be one well before that game, a cup visit to Nottingham Forest in the 3rd round of the cup in 1967. I was a youngster but the songs and witty comments on the coach from Atherton took top stage that day. Wanderers lost 4-2 after putting in a tremendous show.

One of my favourite away trips was to Bournmouth on the League liner. This was a train hired to clubs who booked it. Burnley were the first to use this and we were the second. Cannot recall much about it but the bugger was late getting there. MOTD Cameras were there that day to capture our 2-0 defeat.

Strange how my moments are all from the lower leagues? The 3rd division days under Ian Greaves were tremendous.

I'm sure Jimmy Armfield got us promoted and Greaves only took over in the 2nd Div (now called the Championship)...?

@b4josh8
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denn, White Tiger

• Thank you received: 211

Denn replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

I was very seldom sober in those days and every trip was a haze.

Denn

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Sorry White Tiger. Despite being a great moment in BWFC History this thread is about actual memories of things you've witnessed.

I'm sure we'd all have liked to have been following the Supers in the 20's or 50's but we're stuck with what we've experienced.

It's a tough rule but I'm a tough man and for that reason - it's oot.

• Thank you received: 70

White Tiger replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

coffey wrote: Sorry White Tiger. Despite being a great moment in BWFC History this thread is about actual memories of things you've witnessed.

I'm sure we'd all have liked to have been following the Supers in the 20's or 50's but we're stuck with what we've experienced.

It's a tough rule but I'm a tough man and for that reason - it's oot.

Fair enough - but the 4th post in this thread suggests David Jack's goal at Wembley. ;)

@seanoharaauthor

"I gave the people of Bolton champagne but all they wanted was beer" Ian Greaves

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

That's right and I didn't allow that one niether!

Don't get me wrong I'm just as inconsistent with the rules as the next man.

I'm a bit like god in that way. Sometimes I'm benevolent - sometimes I'm harsh and cruel.

And I grant wishes to people who send me money.

Please send money.

• Thank you received: 182

RMc replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

What was the name of that club under the Job Centre? Taht's where I met Debbie from Harwood - I MUST have told you about Debbie from Harwood.

It was originally The Va Va, before I was of drinking age. Then Pips, also before I was of drinking age, but I still went in. At one point it became Space City and had a lot of pool tables. Can't remember what it was before closing, but it's still closed and up for rent.

Next door to Yates's.
It's had so many names... possibly Gaiety or Maxims back then?

Both. It was the Gaiety first then Maxims. Also known as the Fleece but before my time

26th Dec 2014
Bolton 2-1 Blackburn Number 68

This game really was a 'blast from the past' in terms of entertainment...it had everything.. end to end good old fasioned football with both teams going for it....its been years since I've seen football like this... goaline clearances... hitting the post and bar (both teams)... word class saves... and an 'x-factor' story thrown in to the mix via Heskey and Eidur combining to steal the game from an excellent Blackburn team...will live in the memory for a long time....

@b4josh8

• Thank you received: 79

pthorpe replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Sorry to rain on your parade Coffey, my good man, but I do think you have to allow room for a bit of nostalgia, but I do think you have to pay room to two, no make that 3, bits of nostalgia. Even though no one is alive today to have witnessed it, save for the legendary WayneAgain, who was probably there to see one and possibly 2 of the 3 then I'm going for, in no particular order,
1. First ever FA Cup winners at Wembley, (probably my favourite as no one can take that away from us, not even that Man U mob).
2. First ever team to score a goal in professional football, and if my memories right we also scored the 2nd!! and last but certainly not least
The magnificent gesture of the Bolton Wanderers team, enlisting to a man, and who became known as the Wartime Wanderers.

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

You can find a full list of BWFC Honours in the match day programme.

This isn't a democracy.

I'll really need to knuckle down and tidy this up in the New Year. Getting it ticking over again. There are loads of great memriries still not documented.

How about Jussi's save from Andy Cole?

...or Gary Speed's tackle on Gary Neville? That has surely got to feature somewhere too :-)

No 26....

Not sure its the actual event or the press release...
I'll reserve the option to re-post and re-position this event in the light of unfoldingness

PHIL Gartside has stepped away from his duties as chairman of Bolton Wanderers after the club confirmed he "Phoned in Sick".

The 63-year-old, who has served in the role since 1999, has been doing a poor job for a number of years.

Financial trouble-shooter Trevor Birch – the man who helped broker Roman Abramovich’s takeover at Chelsea and was also recruited by troubled clubs Portsmouth and Leeds United – has been drafted in to help bridge the gap and answer all the awkward questions Gartside couldn't answer with a straight face.

He will also take a leading role in negotiations with potential new owners, which are thought to include Dean Holdsworth’s Sports Shield Consortium.

“I’m sad to report that Phil is not well at the moment, plus the fact It's also that time of year when the latest financial figures will be released and Phil would have found it impossible in the current climate to explain away his annual bonus of around 500k, Trevor will now lead the negotiations on behalf of the board and the owner,” confirmed vice-chairman Brett Warburton.

Gartside joined the board at Wanderers in 1989 and became chairman at the same time Sam Allardyce became manager a decade later.

He served as a distinguished member of the FA board part of the selection committee who appointed Roy Hodgson in 2012. He also sat on the panel at the New Wembley Stadium.

Trevor Birch will act on behalf of the club with immediate effect.

The role will see him providing assistance to the board and owner, which will include managing negotiations with the various parties who have expressed an interest in purchasing the club.

Brett Warburton said: “Trevor is a football man who has great experience in dealing with clubs in difficult financial situations. We welcome his support in assisting us through this difficult period.

“Our current owner Eddie Davies is fully supportive of the appointment and will work closely with Trevor.

"Eddie has done a fantastic job in cooking the books for us, having bought the club from the shareholders for a mere £1m, setting up his off shore investment company Moonshift, so he can lend the club its own money, pocketing a cool £5m in interest per season, shows just what a dedicated lifelong fan of money he really is"

“Unfortunately, since relegation, he's found it really difficult to take the annual interest payments he's accustomed to and as such has lost all faith in the club"
we haven’t been able to turn things around on the pitch and re-gain promotion despite running an over inflated player wage bill. As the Premier League parachute funding has disappeared in Bermuda, we need to find further funding to replace it"

“Eddie has indicated that he's skint, and always was so can’t provide any further funding and we have therefore been working hard to attract the appropriate investment to take this club forward.”

@b4josh8
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mangler

• Thank you received: 157

Britlass replied the topic: The 100 most memorable Bolton moments of all time!

Bolton News has 3 articles; 2 of which say that Gartside is in hospital.

what, What, WHAT

• coffey
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

17 - This is the RRBC (Road Runner Broadcasting Corporation).

You kids with yer ipads, hula-hoops and dungarees, you don't know the half of it. I asked my youngest the other day if she'd seen my 'Walkman' and she stared blankly at me, likewise when we visit Granny there's always much mirth when they see her video recorder and record player.

It wasn't always live streams and instant access. When I was a lad there was precious little football on the telly and Bolton we're on even less. I think the first time I ever saw a clip of a Bolton game was during Off the Ball where Saint and Greavsie mumbled their way throgugh some of the grainy footage from the Notts County 7-1 destruction in the Milk Cup. The next time I saw us on TV wasn't until BBC Breakfast showed the goals from the 4-3 FA Cup win at Chesterfield (who included a young SKD in their team - he scored too). I was genuinely amazed that cameras had gone to a Bolton game.

Of course there are cameras at every game now but in the olden days we used to go and watch Road Runner VHS videos in the Burden Park Exec Lounge (think The Phoenix Club) on a Monday.

Two small portable tellies with anything from 10 to 200 fans watching and listening to the commentary provided by Dave Higson.

The Brentford away win had to be made ticket only as it was something like Wanderers' first win in London for 30 years or something stupid.

You might not have been there to witness it but Dave and Jimmy were and you could watch all the goals, the Monday after, on a poxy Rumbelows portable.

If the video was working - which it sometimes didn't.

Time to create page: 0.378 seconds