What to do?

• pthorpe
  • pthorpe's Avatar Topic Author
  • super white boarder
  • super white boarder
  • Thank you received: 79

pthorpe created the topic: What to do?

Over the years the number of people who subscribed to the various blogs, that were the forerunner to the one in use today, has dwindled rapidly, and I'm trying to figure out if there may be a way to get our activity levels up to what we used to have. The banter that used to go back and forth brought out all of man-kinds human emotions, and one thing the forum didn't lack was spirited debate and humour. Who could ever forget Wakey's pitchforks and torches whenever he felt the need to "bring them out". Or the young fellow from Down Under, or the wacky Breezeblock, or Wayneagain. There is a plethora of names out there, Britlass, Hampo, Josh, BigE, and a whole bunch I cannot remember.

Time to start creating new memories methinks, so if anyone has any ideas how we can make this Phoenix rise from the ashes please don't be shy!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Britlass

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 211

Denn replied the topic: What to do?

Well I'm still around mind you! but, not really many posts to keep my interests.

It was a good forum but for some strange reasons (Coyle/Freedman/Lennon) seemed to divide the posters. All these Managers struggled to turn turn a pigs ear into a silk purse.

I went to a few home games last term and was quite impressed by the togetherness unlike the Freedman and Lennon days. I shall go to a few more next season but I will not get involved again full time.

Football itself made me angry which probably showed during poem-gate, I simply cannot subject myself to too many games else I would end up having either a stroke or heart attack, it was that bad.
I found myself yelling at players feigning injury, poor refereeing decisions and managers substitutions.

I do believe the club have found a real gem in Parkinson, only time will tell if my assumption is correct.
Ken Anderson seems to be trying his best to clear the outstanding debt, whether for his own future gains who knows or even cares, as long as the club remains stable and continues to entertain the fans.

I shall continue to post on here to voice my opinions whether right or wrong, I'm usually wrong. After gaining promotion I'm quite looking forward to the new season, something I haven't in recent years.
My Son and Daughter are season ticket holders and to a point I still am? yes the doggy still holds a junior ticket for my old seat just in case I have a change of heart. I can't see that happening but who knows?

Denn.

Denn

• pthorpe
  • super white boarder
  • super white boarder

pthorpe replied the topic: What to do?

Eloquent as always Denn, as befitting BWFC's "Poet Laureate," and I apologize for missing you out. That's what happens when you are rushing out the door to go golfing!. I'm not convinced it's the poor management that led to more posts, after all we did fine under BIg Sam.

• Thank you received: 38

supacool replied the topic: What to do?

I miss the good old days on the forum. I really do.
Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing great.
One love. Looking forward to a great season ahead.

@beejaybajoe

Supacoolness Personified

• Thank you received: 182

RMc replied the topic: What to do?

I have to admit I'm finding it difficult to be enthusiastic.
Freedman drained the life out of the club, even more than Megson, and the financial and legal wrangling involving our late chairman left the feeling that I was supporting a terminally corrupt organisation.
Anderson seems to know his stuff, but I don't trust him.
Of course Phil Parkinson did a sound job getting us out of League One, but there are times when the style of football made you want to gouge your eyes out.
Perhaps things will improve, but the general state of the game doesn't help, with ridiculous amounts of money involved and the bullshit that comes either directly from the media or through it.

• Thank you received: 137

BUNBURY replied the topic: What to do?

R M C summed up my feelings too!

• Thank you received: 389

Mangler replied the topic: What to do?

I find a combination of several factors has reduced my interest.

The stuff outlined by RMc of course, coupled with now having children and the commitments that go hand-in-hand with being a Dad to four of the little monkeys mean that football really has taken a back seat. When you add in the slide down the leagues (and the resulting less-and-less coverage of the Whites)... none of the above helps swell interest in the club. Less coverage means fewer stories and topics of conversation on the forum, which means less frequent use of the forum. It's a downward spiral.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a little upturn in interest over the next few years. Hopefully we've hit rock bottom when we got relegated and finally saw the end of the Eddie Davies/PG regime. Anderson is as trustworthy as Satan in a pair of silk trousers, but - from the outside at least - he seems to have us moving forward and is re-drawing the financial landscape of the club in a way it can survive.

• pthorpe
  • super white boarder
  • super white boarder

pthorpe replied the topic: What to do?

I believe RMC posted a very relevant point, which is how the game has been hijacked by all the money that has in effect made it impossible for the "have not" clubs to compete. Case in point being I decided to boycott the Champions League final, which is the first one I've missed in over 50 years.

Up to now I believe we have sold well in excess of 10,000 Season Tickets which seems to show some are keen and still interested.
I was chatting with a Norwich fan whilst on holiday. he was of similar age to me (yes and old git) and he hadn't a good word for the Premier league. Like us, the money required to maintain Prem league status was costing a fortune, something his club couldn't sustain. He was looking forward more to this coming season than last term simply because the money thrown at the spoilt bastards on display was diabolical. Each week he saw players play acting and trying to get opponents sent off or booked, something similar why I packed in attending.

The Prem seems to be getting richer stifling our own English lads in favour of foreign players who are no better than our own but, have a great name making them appear to be a better option.

Some of those lads who won that under twenty tournament probably wont get a chance at their respective clubs because of the amount of foreign players keeping them out. I notice quite a lot of the under 21 team players come from the Championship.
My son and Daughter are bored stiff at the weekend moaning that there's no footy, I'm quite happy doing what I currently do most weekends and that is enjoying a few different beers. This weekend I managed to get round every Brewery in Manchester for the Manchester beer week, all nine breweries were covered on Saturday. And no, I don't have a pint in each, I enjoy a half and even a third because of the prices these breweries charge. The beers are exceptional, fruit beers, IPA's and sours, all different types of beers available, that's what I now enjoy.
I'm still a fanatic and always shall be.
PS. I spotted a bloke I thought I knew at Atherton Colls game at the end of last season, I didn't want to approach him in case it wasn't who I thought it was. However it was who I thought it was, yes, it was Mr Breezeblock but disguised wearing a scruffy beard, yes a wurzel Gummage beard.

Denn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Britlass, RMc

• Thank you received: 157

Britlass replied the topic: What to do?

I tried to log in a couple of times, only to get the "this forum doesn't exist" type of message. I was more than a little surprised that I found it available tonight.

Since we dropped from the PL into the Championship, here in the USA they changed from Fox Soccer channel coverage to NBC Sports Network coverage. That pretty much ended viewing of Championship game coverage as Fox Soccer became Fox Sport and went from 2-3 channels to just the one.

In League One there is absolutely NO COVERAGE over here.

When the game reports are minimal (BBC, Sky), it's hard to get a feel for how the game played out and forget having a feel for how players played, etc. A two minute video on BWFC @youtube is not sufficient to gauge a whole game or players' performances. When you are clueless about these two major features, it is all but impossible to come on the forum and discuss topics regarding players and a game in general.

We will only have that type of coverage again if we are in the PL...which as commented about above, is a soul sucking, soul destroying entity that has whored itself for the sake of a almighty dollar/pound.

It's a sad time in football. FIFA sells itself to the highest bidder (Russia, middle east and China next). It's all about the money and not about the fans.

what, What, WHAT

• Thank you received: 219

josh8 replied the topic: What to do?

I think its a combination of all the above.. however in this case it's probably more down to myself...all forums need a core of prolific posters to be successful, this being no exception, there was a time when we had Wakey, Breeze, Britlas, Mangler, Laughtoe, Azreal and myself to name a few posting all day, everyday... and for one reason or another, this core have now dwindled to just a cpl... The onus really is on the admin to start threads and help stimulate conversations an in this regard I have to hold my hands up and say I haven't been doing this over the last 18mths, well, not since I got involved with the Supporters Trust...

This was a deliberate act as I didn't want to compromise my position with the trust by posting stuff on here and giving certain people ammunition to to hold up against me or the forum by insinuating that my involvement with the Trust was some cynical ploy to enhance this forum in any way....

Having said all that, I've also been really busy in my day job as well as Trust matters and just don't get the time to post these days... but I've looked at the stats today and although there are not too many posters or post on here these days..there is still a phenomenal amount of traffic and unique visitors to the Forum every day and still has over 12,000 twitter followers...

Like I've stated previously, I don't mind keeping it going whilst people still use it, The ideal situation would be for someone to take it on (admin side) and take it forward...

@b4josh8

Thanks for the report Josh and a true assumption.

No matter how hard the club try it's set back after set back. No sooner the wounded stands he's knocked down again.

Today we play Chorley in a friendly, we don't even have a squad? now spearing has severed ties with the club. Last seasons achievements seem a distant past.
As for spearing, well! nothing the club can do. Some may say he's greedy but, should he sign for either Blackburn or Wigan then that would prove to be right. We all want more money and who can blame anyone for doing so. Loyalty in football doesn't exist.

As said in my previous posts, I was looking forward to the season now, I'm a little apprehensive. The club seems so far away from any sort of stability and this worries me. Unless we can tempt a few stragglers who are desperate then I don't hold much hope for the coming season. Parkinson will have to produce a minor miracle for this small squad to survive.
Hope I'm proved wrong.

Denn

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds